Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 1 - 30th May 2009

Arrival Form
.
.
.
Straits Time
.
At the back of my head, I was wondering how would the new government run Timor-Leste, and coincidentally, the papers was writing about our ruling party in Singapore, that changed the course of Singapore. While reading the papers, Singapore was kinda like in the same predicament as Timor Leste 50 years ago – uncertain future, new nation, however, Timor Leste is blessed with natural reserve (that Singapore has none), Singapore is blessed with its strategic location for the major trade routes. If Lee Kuan Yew is now the prime minister of Timor Leste, how would he run it? I am not politicial, but after my short trip, it is definitely an uphill task.
.
.
I was thinking if some countries are destined not to be economically successful. I do not mean it in a negative manner. Just like everyone of us, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. For example: I know that I could never be a great novel author, I could never be a great musician... but I know I am pretty good with numbers. There are some things that we excel in and others things that we struggle to do well. I think that the same concept applies to countries as well.
.
Fortunately for Timor-Leste, they might become another Brunei because of its oil reserve.
.
.
.
Some Statistics
.
To sidetrack a bit – Singapore Land Mass increased by 20% by filling the sea with land. Amazing feat by our government.
This is what I call – Uniquely Singapore.
.
During the flight to Dili (Capital of Timor Leste), I saw some beautiful beautiful islands. I realised that there are actually alot of treasures in Indonesia – those islands could be as beautiful as Maldives, Fiji etc... unfortunately, Tourism in Indonesia is quite badly promoted.
.
.
.

Paradise
.
.
.


Close-up
.
.
.

Blue Blue Sky
Different tones of blue!
The world is so beautiful.
.
.
.

Random Photo

.
.
.


Coastline of Timor-Leste
.
The government wanted to promote Eco-tourism, and I felt that it is totally possible. Timor-Leste is a raw and beautiful place, however, its infrastructure needs to be improved. Currently, there is almost no tourist in Timor-Leste.

.

.

Free Condoms!!!

(And this box was hanging outside my room.... hmmm..)

.

.


TsingTao & Timor-Leste Flag
.
Within the first day, I found Chinese presense in this country. The furniture and electrical appliances are all made-in-china. I saw a few Chinese government officials and some UN security personnels from China. The operator of the hotel is owned by a Chinese (Macau born) and her Portugese husband.
.
.
.
Hotel California, Dili
.
.
.

Roman Catholic Shed-Church.
90% of the population (1million) are Roman Catholic.
Not a surprising statistics, as Portuguese has colonized this place for 500 years.
.
.
.

Cross

.
.
.

Car-plate.

TLS - Timor Leste S.....?

.

.

.

Turn Left

.
.
.

Shadow
.
.
.

Symmetry
.
.
.


Ray of Hope
.
.
.


Veil
.
.
.

Coastal area of Dili
.
.
.



Swaying with the wind
.
.
.


Sunset
.
.
.

Fishing
.
.
.


Sunset
.
.
.

.
.
.

1 comment: