Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 2 - 31st May 2009

Well, the second day was quite eventful,
as it was the first time I ever meet a President of a Country and went to his residence. The president is also a Nobel prize laureate, so this is another first time for me to meet a Nobel prize Laureate.
.
.
I like his residence, it was a very cozy and comfortable place. There was no air-con, but it was not hot. The thing that I felt uncomfortable was the imprisonment of 2 fully-grown eagles - well, it was impressive to have huge eagles as pets, but eagles are meant to fly freely not kept in cage. Since I do not have the background of these 2 eagles (may be they are orphan at birth), I shall not be too judgemental.
.
.
.


The Timorese old man is a war veteran (see the poster at the top)

.

I went to a Fatunaba Memorial – a place that commemorates those brave warriors who sacrificed themselves during the second world war. It was also another pleasure to meet the 84 years-old War Veteran – a local Timorese who brought the Allied troops around the Island at a tender age of 12 years-old. He was a very brave boy. Respect!!

.

.

I did not take photos of the President and his team. I felt that it was kinda rude to take photos without their permission, anyway, even if I took it, I would not load up in onto the blog, as it would put the people who worked around him in jeopardy. More than a year ago (Feb 2008), there was a failed attempt to assassinate the president, who was badly injured by 3 gun shoots.

.

Hence, taking photos of people around him would jeopardize their lives (at least, in my perspective). It was an eye-opener to listen to their on-going and future projects in Timor Leste. Talking about Politics in this region and the relationship with various countries. It was a honor to listen to some of their conversations. Due to the sensitive nature of the matters, I am not sharing them on this blog.

.

.

Invitation to Movie Premiere

.

In the evening, we were invited to a movie premiere – Balibo. It was the world premiere and it was shown at the EU compound in Timor Leste. Balibo is a place in Timor Leste, very near to the border with Indonesia. I could not provide any synopsis of this movie, as it is not shown to the rest of the world yet (that’s another first time experience for me). They would show case this movie in Melbourne, Toronto and other world famous film festival.

.

.

.

“Based on actual events, BALIBO is a powerful, moving and explosive political thriller that recreates events surrounding the execution of five Australian journalists during Indonesia’s invasion of East Timor in 1975, and journalist Roger East’s investigation into their tragic death”

.

See below for more comments on the movie.

.

.


The memorial place is on one of the hills overlooking the capital city of Dili.

It was beautiful and the air was fresh.

Very enjoyable. =)


.
.
.

Presence of Australian Defence Organisation.
.
.
.
Local Girl posing for me. =)
.
.
.
Random Shot
.
.
.

Casa Europa
European Union Compound where the film 'BALIBO' was shown.
.
.
.
It was a powerful movie that I was moved by the bravery of the Australian Journalists who wanted to world to know the true plight of East Timor. Unfortunately, they were ALL killed by the Indonesian militants and those murderers are still at lurch, partly because they were holding high position. An estimated 138,000 people are killed.
.
.
The movie triggered more questions in my mind:
What makes the Australian Journalists risk their lives to report the happenings in East Timor? Why did Indonesia want to invade East Timor?
Is “black gold” the reason?
When did East Timor discover that it has oil reserve?
Why did the rest of the world do nothing?
Why didn’t the UN prevent the tragedy?
How can people so brutal?
Why are the murderers not put on trial in international criminal court?
Why ain’t Indonesia apologetic and provide more assistance to Timor Leste?
.
.
.
I am not a supportor of war, but I believe that it is necessary for any country to have military forces to defend its sovereignty. In time of crisis, it is hard to depend on external help, and only you would use your life to protect your family and country. Despite the fact that I do not agree with army way of life, I supported the need for conscription.
.
I have a new found respect for the President.
It was hard to imagine by reading the background of his excellency on websites, but having visual images, the impact is stronger and deeper. His life is amazing. I have total respect for his effort and bravery to fight for his country’s independence.
.
After the movie, I had a deeper appreciation for freedom and independence. I could appreciate East Timor better. I realised that there is not enough awareness of this tragedy around the world, which is quite unfortunate.
Awareness would precede any help.

No comments:

Post a Comment