Friday, June 5, 2009

Introduction

More than 4 years ago, I was supposed to go to East Timor for voluntary work, however, due to study commitment, I decided not to join the team. I thought I would never have the opportunity to visit East Timor, until one fine day when my boss (who was going to East Timor), out of goodwill and good gesture, asked me if I would be keen to come along. I accepted immediately, even though I know that I would not be contributing much.
.
I must make a disclaimer:
As I was in the country for only 4 days, my view is based on my limited observations and things that I have read. So it might not be totally accurate.

(One of the sign boards in East Timor)
.

Prior to the trip, I did some readings on East Timor (aka Timor Leste). The recurring question that surfaced in my mind was “If I am the prime minister, how am I going to run and develop this country?”. It was not an easy task. While the country has gotten its freedom by gaining independence from Indonesia, that is only the first step.
.

I also asked myself this question: If the Timor Leste (Portuguese name) does not have oil reserve, would the people ask for independence from Indonesia? If there is no oil reserve, would Indonesia invaded East Timor?
.
At the end of the day, it is about gaining wealth – the black gold. It was a bit sad that so many live were sacrificed for the $$$. I might have over-simplifying the whole situation. There might be some other reasons such as difference in race and culture. Example: Timor-Leste residents are predominantly Roman Catholic and have Portuguese influences.
.
This is the recurring problems around the world – the quest for black gold. Example: USA intervention and invasion of Iraq – I would think that if there is no oil reserve in Iraq, there will be no fighting and killing. US won’t be bothered at all, just like their positions in alot of conflicted states/countries in Africa. Sorry for digressing, just felt sad that so many people are willing to do nasty things just to be wealthy
.
.
.
For this blog, all the photos shown here are unedited (No Cropping, No lighting enhancement etc..)

No comments:

Post a Comment